As writers we are told that one of the many ways we can improve and learn our craft is to read, read and read. With that in mind I have drafted this list of books which have inspired me for the story itself but also for the lessons they gave.
I have not included Tolkien in this list, not because he failed to inspire me but because I want to give these writers and their books a chance.
- BEST BOOK FOR WORLD BUILDING FANTASY – MAGICIAN -Entire Series. – RAYMOND E FEIST
- BEST BOOK FOR CHARACTER BUILDING – THE FARSEER TRILOGY – ROBIN HOB
- BEST BOOK FOR PUSHING BOUNDARIES – WRAETHTHU SERIES – STORM CONSTANTINE
- BEST BOOK FOR SETTING ATMOSPHERE – CHRISTINE – STEPHEN KING
- BEST BOOK FOR SCI FI WORLD BUILDING – THE DARKOVER SERIES – MARION ZIMMER BRADLEY
- BEST BOOK FOR STRONG STORYLINE – MISTS OF AVALON – MARION ZIMMER BRADLEY
- BEST BOOK FOR SPINETINGLING HORROR – THE GHOSTS OF SLEATH – JAMES HERBERT
- BEST VAMPIRE BOOK – ARMAND AND QUEEN OF THE DAMMED – ANNE RICE
- BEST NEW BOOK/SO FAR/ – NAMELESS – MERCEDES YARDLEY
- BEST APOCALYPTIC BOOK – THE STAND – STEPHEN KING
There are many many others new and old that I love but I have chosen these titles because they have directly inspired my learning of the craft.
Remember you never stop learning. HAPPY NEW YEAR.
n.b. Those who know me well, know that since I was a little bitty child, Vampires inspired me and still do. The girl cant help it, I am Vampire obsessed.